Desert Living With Carlos Solorzano

Over the weekend, I took my little family out to the desert, in Palmdale, about 1 1/2 from L.A. We were visiting my friend, Carlos Solozarno, who lives there a few days a week. When he's not working on cars in, L.A., he is out there living the simple life.

I was trying to make this little trip a photo essay about Carlos, but with my wife and kid in the scene, it became a portrait look at Carlos and his place. Since we were only there for a half of the day, I was only able to capture a part of his life as a mechanic in the desert.

He graciously opened his home to us, and how he lives under the desert sun. At first, driving through the desert, it was hard to understand how people can live under heat of the sun. Or, what can you really do for fun? But as soon as we walked in the compound, I started to understand how people live here. With the constant cool breeze flowing, it was really nice to just relax under the shade and have a cold drink. Time started to slow down without the worries of deadlines and meetings. Life seems to be in cruise control once you take in the scenes. My wife then starts preparing for lunch - chopping and mixing  for our carne asada. The make-shift table which also functions as a mechanics table for engines and transmission was a perfect place to prep for lunch outside.

As I lounged in the lawn chair, I was thinking of the many limited resources these places have. Conservation is key to living the simple life, and making use of what is available. It was great not seeing fast food chains, super markets, restaurants, or even traffic.
Carlos Solozano











I'm already thinking about when I will return. The desert seems to have a pull into my creative juices and brainstorming on some ideas.

Comments

Popular Posts