Street Portraits - Dark Angeles Series

Updated 10.13.2013



Last weekend, I went out hunting for stories. On this hunt, I was looking for interesting people to photograph. The main focus was to find people with a dark mood to them. The new series I plan to document is called, "Dark Angeles". Since I've seen others capture street portraits during the day, I wanted to challenge  myself with shooting in the night, and manipulating light.

I came across Garth Kennedy in Silver Lake, CA 90026 and I had asked him if we can photograph him and his style. He was all for it. I scouted the location right away, and I came across the idea of photographing him at the car wash. Here are some samples from the street portrait shoot.




Since I work for a lighting company that caters to the motion picture, TV, and broadcasting I am able to check out certain lighting. On this evening, I went ahead and used the CINEMILLS LEDZ Brute 3 lighting. These lights where perfect for the application I was doing. I put two lights on two different light stands. Envisioning my lighting placement, I was able to manipulate them and play with different angles. The packing and clean up is relatively easy to do with these small lights. Just retract the light stands back, and off I go. I must admit, the timing takes just a little more time to setup, rather than shooting with a flash (on or off the camera), but having control of more lighting and capable of placing them wherever I like, makes it all worth it. Luckily Garth enjoyed being photograph, and it clearly showed on his session.

On this night, while hunting for stories, it became more interesting with a drunk driver involved. Around 2:00 AM: I was out looking for street portraits of random people. This driver went on a rampage to drive over lanes and ram into cars. He was just about three car distance from me, and went berserk. He crossed one side of the road, to other, and running over bush and trees. Finally, gunning it, and crashing into the tree.

 

   

Comments

Popular Posts