The Values of Photographic Critiques

Blog by: Russo Mutuc 

This next blog piece is purely from my experience and thoughts about the values of photo critiques.

It's been four to five years now that I have been a part-time student. I don't think I see an end to my path. Foolish to some, I choose to be in school in order to make mistakes. Even as a working professional, I still need the urge to keep expanding ideas and learning. I have been told to just stay focused on one thing, and stick with it, which meant leaving the educational environment and seeking more paid jobs. Well, I have chosen my path and growth with the use of other student body work; which keeps me inspired and motivated to getting better.

One true value I really appreciate, is the time spent on analyzing and hearing reviews. Constructive criticism is my way of understand what others view, and how I can adapt to the human connection, of the individual. The goal, for every artist, is to create an emotion or reaction. Critiques are a way to measure my success. I can be the hardest person critiquing myself, and be overly anal about the image, if no other feedback was to engage in the photo. Which, ultimate, has me on a pseudo obsessive mode, over analyzing. But, present the image to an open forum - full of people, and let the image speak for itself.

Sitting through others reviews, even if they lack substance, has some insightful points. When a photo of mine is being discussed and honed in for flaws, I take every criticism and keep an open-mind. The worst review sticks a lot more. To this day, I'm on guard upon creating an image, and trying my best to remove variables.

I'm NOT a writer, I just photograph a lot.



 

Comments

Popular Posts