My Tribute To Alexander Graham Bell

These days I long to get out and capture something that inspires me, street photography. Last night, I had the chance to just unwind and enjoy the masses at the Art Walk DTLA. I took my Nikon camera, but only shot one image of street. Tho I enjoyed people watching, I was not motivated to shoot them, perhaps due the the volume and clutter around the streets.

Heading towards Persian Square and nearing towards the Metro, I came across this payphone. I've shot other payphones in the past, but this one stood out. The yellow handset, and the combined two phones in one location caught my eye, in conjunction with the texture and lines around the subject.

I took my flash unit and asked my wife to hold it on a low angle from the side. This is the result

Nikon D80
Lens 18- 135
f 8/15
Speedlight unit
 
Having a background in Telecommunications, it seems fitting to tribute my work to Alexander Graham Bell. Voice communication has certainly gone a long way. 

When you look at this image, you can't help but notice the impact it made in society and where it's leading to. As you stare at it, there is a sense of comfort and/or discomfort, fear, and at times disgust. Imagine a block without payphones, how dull and boring? Having these units around, there is a sense of connectivity, and the idea of someone behind the microphone. Even tho there's a big percentage of society that hardly use these units. Respect and enjoy them visually while they last.


More on L.A.' Culture and Personality
 

Comments

Popular Posts