What Cameras Should I Use For Stock Videography


 If you are planning to venture into stock video work, and thinking that you absolutely need the very best cameras, you're sort of incorrect. Let's talk about cameras for video stock! 

If you don't have a big budget but have access to a modern smart phone with decent size videos from 1080p to 4K, then you can absolutely just work with that (for now). Start capturing content with the smart phone such as iPhone or Samsung devices. I had submitted plenty of content shot on my phones, and it has been accepted into stock sites. Keep in mind, in order to stay competitive and in the algorithm of each stock site, you have to constantly upload content. Some smart phones have support tools that can help enhance the look and feel such as camera movement, lenses or mounts. These added support can drastically change the presentation of the video, which might help sell your videos.

If you have deep pockets and are able to afford higher end gear such as cinema cameras, drones or even mirrorless cameras - the type of quality increases compared to smart phones. These types of cameras give a different look in reference to "cinematic look" or event effects. They have way more options that can be done in camera. Plus the resolution will provide a more fine details on the images. 

Personally I own these cameras:

/ iPhone 11

// Samsung Note 8

/// Canon 5D Mark 2

//// SONY A7R3

///// ZCAM E2S6 (Cinema Camera)

///// SONY 150 Camcorder

Each one of these cameras has created content for me. Lately, I have been using my SONY 150 for ease of use. I'll explain...



This camera allows me to go on location - run and gun and out of the case, it's ready to use. No need to do camera building or testing ahead of time. Plus, the audio features allow me to capture more detailed sound. But the camera  has limitation too. 

I have been using this camera because the stock videos I have been capturing are exterior landscape, structure and daily lifestyle - sort of like news type. Shooting run and gun, I can easily power on in the car and start filming. If I was using my cinema camera, it takes 30 seconds to power up, attach lenses, then deal with focus, exposure settings and so fort...

So depending on the the type of stories you want to capture, there are specific tools that can help you speed up the process or enhance the quality.

My suggestion, go out there and start shooting, even if it's an older camera. Upload and see what the process feels like, and you will learn, eventually, what stock videos work and don't work on stock sites.

Surf my Shutter Stock site for sample work. I'm also in Pond5 and Adobe Stock.

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Russo+Mutuc

Comments

Popular Posts