Is The Business Of Photography Going Away?

 



In the age of social media, content creation, software and smart phones what's the future of photography? 

As technology is advancing more tools are available to average users and business owners that can capture their own content. So much information is out there that can also help educate the enthusiast to becoming pro. People are finding ways to teach themselves to improve the look and quality of their content. 

What is to happen to professional content creators like myself who took the traditional route of education in photography and film? How do we compete in an ever growing content creators industry? These are the questions I always ask myself as I keep pushing to grow my own brand and business.

I think even as the industry is filling up with new ones, we have a chance to advance our skills into even better higher content. The experience comes with a price, but often the price has bottomed out due to competition. In order to be more competitive I took on social media head on, to fully grasp the industry. Balancing my photography and video with social media. I'm putting myself out there even more on social media. Some are absolutely killing the game, somehow I manage to get enough clients to keep me sustained. Social media is allowing my potential clients to see me actively working and with fresh content. If I was just to hold on to my knowledge and not share, I think my business would fail drastically. In short, I am competing on the space everyone is on to stay relevant. 

To help balance out my financial needs I also do side hustle - consulting and creating stock work. The stock content work is a lot slower to grow, but it's finally making some traction. I'm also putting myself out there in platforms like YouTube to document my process and lifestyle, in hopes of gaining more audience. I'm also writing in Blogs to gain different markets. 


So it goes back to the question, "Is the business of photography going away?" I, personally do not think so. Majority of businesses need visuals to maintain their image. Many of those businesses don't have time to create content. So content creators like photographers/videographers are in demand. It just depends on how you land those clients and how much work you need to promote your own business. Keep in mind rates are being competitive so it's a race to the bottom for budget. 

I can't speak on photographers that create art and sell. That's not my specialty. But I can honestly say, with social media, I can't even look at art photos anymore. I think there is a point I get tired of looking at images everywhere and I don't have the mental capacity to appreciate art pieces. We are bombarded with so much images in our lives that it has come down to burnout. But I am sure there are plenty of artists out there still making good money of their art.

What do you think the future is for photographers?



Comments

Popular Posts