Focal Finding the Right Light and Style for the Clients Needs

Blog by: Russo Mutuc 

This blog is being created during the time of pre-production. A project came into my hands yesterday evening, to shoot an ad campaign for a young star talent. The project is scheduled for tomorrow, roughly about 6a.m This is very much a last-minute decision to get me on-board with the project.

As soon as I got off the phone last night, I went to work doing my research, and homework, I knew I was going to have very little time to plan this. Some of my challenges are composition, lighting, camera, locations, etc..

Here is what the client wants:

"To get a better feel of Chachi, she is the girl next door.  Everyone aspires to be her, like her, move like her.  She is fresh, young, spirited, and has good energy.  She is vibrant and keeps up with fashion trend.  Her look is soft, subtle, and still makes a statement." Below is a sample art direction from the client.

The talent will be wearing articles from necklace, earrings, t-shirts, sun-glasses, watches, etc.



So...I went to work. Scouted my locations from my previous LA Shoots, from my personal street photography, to LA Culture and Personality.

Having studied the type of lighting in the clients needs, I was being challenged by two different types. The first set above are images from sunrise or towards the sunset, where the light provides a rim or glow around the talent. The second set are either studio or overcast days. Both samples at very different times and different color temperatures.

Today I spent my afternoons, testing out lighting, angles, composition for the talent. Products will be worn by the talent, and some of those products are necklace, earrings, clothes, etc.

I did two very different test shots. One with a male figure, shot in less than two minutes (my neighbor) It was the only time he gave me.

Here is a behind-the-scene on my small photo-set.

Test shots

Test Shots

Test Shots

Test Shots

After shooting this in two minutes, I waited an hour after, my pregnant wife came home, and she helped me with my test shoots.

Here are more sample test shots, done within 10 minutes. Pictures below are unedited.







After a day of testing, scouting, and planning I feel ready for tomorrows shoot. So far, the clients have been happy with the pre-planning, and I hope I make their vision come alive even more.

Focal Finder seeks light to create the story. Working with clients to find the desired look or wishes. We take the time to make sure we try and work for that best quality results.

Book now for your next project with Focal Finder. Providing photography, videography, editing.

We can capture advertising, portraiture, life style, fashion, style, events, and many more.

 

Comments

Popular Posts