Portraiture of Shayoon Aboo, Jewelry Designer

Blog by: Russo Mutuc

2.26.2012 - Yesterday I hit the streets of DTLA. My goal was to capture street life and portraiture, by using the sunlight as Paramount lighting.

After walking in Spring Street and 6th for about 15 minutes, I came across Shayoon Aboo sitting down at one of the cafe's. I briefly looked at her facial features from the sidewalk, and, instantaneously, I knew I had a  great talent that I can capture for my subject and story. I had my wife approach her to ease up on the introduction. After explaining what I was looking for, she had agreed to be photographed. We stepped out of the cafe, and next door was a spot I had picked out right away. The light source was just right, a but overcast and diffused light. I noticed there was a glass door open facing towards the light, which I felt might have been a great source of background.

We shot a few poses within less than 2 minutes, I was embarrassed to ask for more time, as I didn't want to take too much. As we were working on the shots, she had mentioned she was a jewelry designer that has been featured in New York Fashion Week, and Bunker Hill Magazine. I quickly tried to adjust my focus to her craft, and having it be prominent in the pictures. As I was shooting, I was thinking about how this would be a great sub-culture portraiture. Here was a woman wearing her art, and being part of the subject all together.

About Shayoon Aboo
Born in Kenya, Africa she comes from a rich cultural background stemming from India, Pakistan, and Africa.

A Los Angeles resident, Shayoon has worked for top companies and independently for over seven years in fashion PR, marketing and as a stylist.

Inspired by her multicultural upbringing and her desire to bring her authentic, uninhibited, ethereal expressions of the east to the west, each one of a kind piece holds specific character, with it’s own story of origin.

“Primal Couture”, Shayoon’s FW 2012 collection will be debuting at New York Fashion Week as ornaments for the Sachika show.

See her website
 

Comments

Popular Posts